Friday, October 19, 2007

Anger Management

HOLA - Check out this blog!

I want to talk about atheists and anger [...] One of the most common criticisms lobbed at the newly-vocal atheist community is, "Why do you have to be so angry?" So I want to talk about:

1. Why atheists are angry;

2. [...]

So let's start with why we're angry. Or rather -- because this is my blog and I don't presume to speak for all atheists -- why I'm angry.

I'm angry that atheist conventions have to have extra security, including hand-held metal detectors and bag searches, because of fatwas and death threats ... that evangelical Christian groups are being given exclusive access to proselytize on military bases ... that it took until 1961 for atheists to be guaranteed the right to serve on juries, testify in court, or hold public office in every state in the country ... I'm angry about what happened to Galileo. Still. And I'm angry that it took the Catholic Church until 1992 to apologize for it ... I'm angry at preachers who tell women in their flock to submit to their husbands because it's the will of God, even when their husbands are beating them within an inch of their lives ... especially angry that so many believers treat prayer as a cosmic shopping list ... I get angry when religious believers base their entire philosophy of life on what is, at best, a hunch ... when believers glorify religious faith without evidence as a positive virtue, and then continue to accuse atheists of being close-minded and ignoring the obvious truth ... I'm angry that I have to know more about their fucking religion than the believers do. I get angry when believers say things about the tenets and texts of their religion that are flatly untrue, and I have to correct them on it ...


Be sure to pack a lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home